Tuesday, November 4, 2008

First Vote!!

Lily went to Vote for the first time this morning!
Rdette was there too- but she ate her sticker!

This morning the girls and I got up and got ourselves together and then we hit the road to Vote! Lily was very excited and kept saying so. Although she really didn't understand what voting was. I think at one point she thought she was getting on a Boat! She got to take a book along and got to walk instead of being in the stroller so that made her happy!

The girls were really good while we waited our turn. Rdette is such a people watcher. She loves it. As long as no one talks to her. Then she will try to turn completely around from a seated belted position! Lily was just as happy and 'read' her book.

When it was our turn the Poll Worker showed us to our spot. Rdette continued to look all around and Lily got a little restless. She knew I was voting, but, again had no clue what that really was. More then likely she was still wondering where the boat was! I happily made my choices. Chris and I really have educated ourselves, so I already knew what I was going to do. That helped it go quicker too.

I turned in my card and got my 'I voted' sticker. The Poll Worker asked if Lily wanted one- ummm yeah it is a sticker! He also asked if Rdette could have one. I said yes, she tried to eat it before we even made it out of the school! Lily was very unhappy when we leaving and wanted to Vote again. Promises of calling Daddy to tell him what we did helped with that.

When we got home I took pictures of Lily with her 'I Voted' sticker on, and of Rdette. This is another day in their lives that they will never remember. Now they will have pictures of themselves from this historic day!

Like I said above Chris and I have been following this election from the start, often laughing that we are really old! But it isn't just about us anymore. What we do or don't do right now will effect our girls in the in future. No candidate is ever going to be perfect, or totally represent me. So you have to just go with your gut and do what you think is best. In the end we made the best choice we could to protect their rights as future women. This Obama-Momma will sleep better at night knowing that. :-)

HAPPY VOTING!!!

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

Great Post Megan ... and cute pictures! It is such an amazing thing to have our children be a part of this election ... and like you said - no candidate is perfect but you have to truly go with your gut! Thanks for spreading the word!

Have a great day!

Rebekah - Jaden - Baby#2 too

Anonymous said...

It is a wonderful thing that they got to go with you to be apart of this day. History will be made today. And I am happy beyond words that all my Grandchildren were at the polls in person to see it.
Love MomMom

Reba said...

Lily may not fully remember today but today you taught her a very important lesson about her responsibilities as a citizen. (Rdette too though it may take a time or two more for her to get the idea :)
Reba