Saturday, February 28, 2009

Our Little Swimmer

Today was Lily's first day of swim classes! We found her a parent and me class at the YMCA. So today she became an Aqua Tot!

This was our birthday present for her, so we also let her pick out 2 new swimming suits. Last night when we were getting our bag ready I asked her which one she wanted to wear. Of course we had to try it on and show Daddy and Charlotte!

When we got to the Y and class got started I saw something that I think is going to be the norm for Lily most of her life... she was the shortest/smallest! :-) Did that stop her?? Not one bit! Once she got comfortable she was right in the mix! Her instructor had us all in a circle in the most swallow water then we got to be baby turtles and blow bubbles in the water. Lily took a sec to get the gist of this. She would put her whole face in mouth wide open (think Pelican!). When we were done with this he pulled out diving rings and would have the kids close their eyes and he would throw them in. Then they could all run in get them. The first time he did this Lily was a little shy to run right in. So she didn't get one. After a while he did it again, this time she took off like a bolt and came proudly gripping her ring! She told me "I got one this time!"

It was a lot of fun! She came home and told Chris how she was kicking her feet and blowing bubbles! Oh and she went under twice!! I about had a heart attack! She was in the mix trying to get a ring, this time we were in a little deeper water. She could still touch with no problems. She found a ring on the bottom and just went for it! I let her go and didn't try to stop her, it was hard not to though.

Her and I will do this for 6 weeks and then she could start the next level where she goes in the water by herself. We are going to have to see how tall she is by then, she is still .5 in short of 3 feet! I found this out after the instructor told the parents to have them jump up and give high fives to get them used to jumping in the water. We were in swallow water so I went to put her off my knees to let her do this and she went right under (oops!). She thankfully came back up laughing, and told me it was OK when I told her that I was sorry!

She told me on the way home that she would like to "go back tomorrow later and do that again!" I think it was a hit!!


Rockin' the white socks!

She was very excited to get going this morning!

2 comments:

Reba said...

I love the swimsuit...what a cute little swimmer! Sounds like you have a little fish on your hands. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

where is week 2 of swimming class?MomMom wants an update.