Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Needles,Snacks and Friends

When I took Charlotte to the doctor on Monday we talked about the fact that Charlotte is still trying to eat everything she can get her hands on. Expo eraser, markers, crayons, pennies, Styrofoam, you name it I think we have pulled it out of her mouth. While talking with her doctor she mentioned that Lead exposure can cause this. But, she quickly brushed that thought aside and said that her 1 year lead work-up was fine.

When we got home I got to thinking about what she said and all I remembered her doing at that appointment was a finger stick for her iron level. So this morning I called back to the office and spoke with her nurse who told me I was right that we hadn't HAD the lead blood work done. I told her I would stop by in the morning to get the lab slip and we would get it done. Well in the 5 secs it took me to hang up the phone I realized that I wanted to make sure that everything was fine and that she just likes to taste her world! Off we went to the doctor.

After reassuring Lily 10 million and 1 times that SHE wasn't getting the needle and that Charlotte as fine she just needed an extra test we made it to the doctors office. It was around 1100 am at this point. We got the slip and were on our way to the Lab. OH MY..... It was packed, hot, and the girls were not about to wait out an hour to get blood work done. I packed it up and got them back to the van. Then a light bulb went off! I called my old office, in my BC (before children) years I was a nurse, and I worked some really great people who I trust. Well I called over and was told that it was a great time to stop by.

We made it there in about 20 mins, they were right the clinic was empty! While Charlotte was getting her blood work done Lily was spoiled rotten! She even sat on one of my docs laps! Too much! I stayed back with Charlotte. It took 3 of us to hold her down. I assured them that I was not a Mom who couldn't watch (nothing wrong if you can't) I just go into clinical mode and focus on her. I stayed at her head and kept kissing her eyes. Annie the great got it in one stick. Charlotte was pissed when we were done! She let me hold her for a while but when she got down she was making Charzilla sounds and just generally mad! At few snacks helped out! We visited for a while and then headed home.

These women we so supportive of Chris and I during the process for Lily it is great to go back and visit, even if there are needles involved!

Lily does her eye appointment scheduled for June, one more thing off our list! I also spoke with the pre-school director today and I am going over to get her application very soon! I can't believe that she can (hopefully) start school soon! We thought that the girls were going to be a year a part in school, however because of Charlotte's birthday they will be 2 years! The cut off is September 1, she was born October 5. I will get one year home with just her though so that is going to be nice!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl i really feel for you..I HATE watching my kids get blood drawn BUT its all for a good cause!!!

Hugs,leslie

Reba said...

I am glad to know I am not the only mom who can watch those procedures. I mean, it hurts my heart but sometimes things have to hurt that are good for us. Anyway, did you get the results yet? Joshua is finally slowing down in the "eat everything" category but he still likes to surprise us sometimes!

Reba