Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Fever That Would Not End...

All throughout the day yesterday Lily still seemed a little off. She felt warm, but not burning up at all. I thought that maybe the fever had really just taken a lot out of her. I just let her call the shots on what she did. The biggest thing I noticed is that her appetite was basically gone. She would drink, but would only take a few bites and then say she was done.

Last night I made spaghetti a Lily favorite and she just picked at it. When she was getting down I was holding her under her arms helping her down and she felt really hot. ...crap...

I took her temp 103.5 at this point it was about 10 till 6 and we tired to call into her Ped's office. We got her Nurse and told her what was going on. We found out that our Ped had surgery over the weekend and had gotten an infection and was now admitted in the hospital herself. She advised us to take Lily over to the Patients First Clinic and have her seen asap.

Lily and got ourselves together and off we went. They checked everything, Strep Throat, Pneumonia, UTI, and did a finger stick. They only thing that they could come up with is it is a middle ear infection. The doctor there gave her a pretty strong antibiotic and told me give her a loading dose when we got home along with a large dose of Motrin.

Here is the funny thing... apparently when Lily's fever gets really high, so does she. She was like a little drunk person, and VERY talkative. She asked every question under the sun. She asked all about the doctor, then when he left she broke into song. At one point I found myself begging her (in my head) to NOT remember something we have been learning. You will understand when you read this chat...

L: (singing) ducky, bear, bear, I love duckies, bear, bear.
She stopped suddenly and looked at me
L: Mommy who is that?
M: I think he is the doctor.
L: No, he is a blue shirt
M: OK but I think that he is the doctor too
L: No he is a man, not a a doctor (then she started singing again) a man, a man, man manman

We have been learning what makes a girl a girl and a boy a boy. Just using simple terms. I sat planted in my seat her on my lap, and turned blood red. Silently I begged her to not in that one moment remember what he has that she doesn't. Thankfully she didn't and when she was done singing she rested on me again.

The good news is that we checked on her several times after we put her to bed and each time she was more and more sweaty. The last time we checked I took her temp again and it was 98.0. So far today she is still a little slow especially this morning. Right now she is napping. I told her the doctor said she had too, and we have to do what the doctor says :-) I think that we on the right track though.

The one thing I couldn't help but think about is how parents with VERY sick children do it. I was so scared that I was going to hear something horrible last night once the tests came back. This fever was just so out of left field and she has never once complained of ear pain, before or after going into be seen. I am very grateful that our kids and as healthy as they are.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are really blessed not to have children with major illness..my prayers to them!!!

My 16 yr old brought a nasty cold home so now abby is sick...WHEN DOES IT end!!?? Well only 4 days of school left amen!

hugs,leslie