Thursday, May 1, 2008

Today was the BIG DAY!

This morning we woke up bright and early got dressed and we were off. The drive was interesting to say the least. We didn't appreciate how many people drove to Annapolis in the morning. Oh, my! We all made it and in one piece. Then came Lily's favorite part... the train ride (shuttle bus/trolley) to the court house. The shuttle bus made several stops on the way around the parking lot to pick people up. It was the final stop that I realized that I had left our camera in the car. FANTASTIC! I knew it was going too smoothly. Once we got to the court house, my Mom offered to ride the shuttle back to the car to retrieve the camera. She rode back and we waited. We were still doing very well on time so we waited for her in the vestibule.

After a few minutes it was decided that Chris would take Charlotte, himself and my Dad through security and find our room, and Lily and I would wait for my Mom. Thankfully the shuttles were running at a good clip and she was back in no time at all. We then went through security and met back up with the rest of the group. Aunt Lizzie made her way just a few more minutes later. We all hung out until the room opened.

It was only three groups of people today so there was plenty of room to spread out. We were the last group to be called. Everything went very smoothly, thankfully, because we had done this all on our own without a lawyer. At the end when he read the order stating that we were changing her name it was a full circle moment. Lily has been our daughter since the first minute we laid our eyes on her when she was 13 days old. Today was more about pomp and circumstance then anything else.. or so I thought. Today, really marks an end of this chapter. Now with a full heart we can begin the next. It is all done there are no more 'well the adoption in finished' buts... It is done. It is good feeling!
Just to be clear that Lily has been an United States citizen since the moment we landed in Miami. Her adoption was considered final at that point. We chose to re-adopt her to change her name, and to make her life easier by obtaining her an US birth certificate. We have been asked that a lot lately.

The Judge and other officials were extremely accommodating with pictures, and Lily was even given a pencil in the shape of a gavel! I had been telling Lily all about today for about a week now, so when it was our turn I asked her, what she should say to the Judge. She said "thank you honor." He told her she was very welcome, with a huge smile on his face! We got some really nice pictures of just the three of us, and then he allowed us to take a few more with Charlotte! Thanks Aunt Lizzie and Mom-Mom!

After we were done in the court room we had to go the main Adoptions portion of the building where they copied all of our original paperwork for their file, and gave us the second most important piece of paper. The legal signed court order with her brand new name! Lilliana Catherine!

We went to lunch then home for much needed naps. The afternoon has been wonderfully quiet, and I am sure that we are in for more of that this evening. All-in-all it was a wonderful day! I did well with everything and didn't become emotional except for one time first thing this morning while I was getting her dressed. I was thinking to myself (while trying to wrangle a 2 year old still for pig tails!) that the next time I help her get dressed like this to change her name she will be getting married.

I just wish I could keep her little forever... although maybe not two! :-)


Proud Family of 4!






All done!



Cheesin' it up!




Waiting to go in!



Our Big Girl!

2 comments:

Reba said...

Congratulations, Lily! (And family) It was a big day! I am SOOO excited for you. I hope it will inspire me to do the same. :) Okay, the comment about the next time her name changes...wow. That made my heart stop. Oh, and I love the pigtails!
Reba

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have been there!
:-( I love the pictures though. Hugs and Kisses to you all. Love, Maggie and Jewely